Jump to Navigation

What to Do When a Loved One Dies

Arizona Probate Lawyers

When a loved one dies, whether unexpectedly or after a long illness, those left behind often don't not know precisely what needs to be done. When this lack of knowledge is compounded by natural grief and pain, the time after a family member's death can be confusing indeed.

The attorneys at Gabroy, Rollman & Bossé, P.C., have been providing clients with comprehensive estate planning and probate administration services for more than 20 years. This has given us in-depth knowledge of the probate process and allows us to advise and counsel clients after the death of a loved one.

After the Death of a Loved One

Our law firm offers the following information for individuals wondering how to cope in the aftermath of a loved one's death:

  • Let the hospital or hospice personnel know which mortuary or funeral home should be called.
  • If the deceased was an organ donor and died at home, call the paramedics immediately — time is of the essence. Tell the ambulance company that the deceased was an organ donor. It will know what to do.
  • Call close family members to let them know about the death. Enlist one of them to help you make additional phone calls and take care of the deceased's plants and pets.
  • Discuss the funeral or memorial service with your close friends and family. Chose a funeral home if you have not done so already. Keep in mind any wishes expressed by the deceased. Contact an appropriate clergy person to help you.
  • Notify the employers and schools of the deceased and members of the household.
  • Ask a friend or family member to keep track of phone calls, letters and cards, flowers and food. You will want to acknowledge them later on.
  • Call an attorney to help you with the legal matters. If the deceased had an attorney, call him or her. Otherwise, call your own lawyer.
  • Whether or not you use an attorney, you will need to obtain copies of the death certificate and identify any insurance policies, pensions and retirement accounts. You will also want to notify any organizations to which the deceased belonged.
  • Notify the Social Security Administration (SSA)
  • Make arrangements to pay taxes

Having a lawyer help you with these and the many other matters that accompany the death of a loved one can remove a significant burden from your shoulders. Our lawyers will guide clients through the process of settling a family member's estate and undertake probate litigation in the event of a will contest or other dispute.

Contact our Tucson estate administration attorneys today to learn how GRB can assist you during a difficult time.

Contact Us Online

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Our Office - Contacts

Law Offices of Gabroy Rollman & Bossé, P.C.
Founded in 1990
3507 N Campbell Ave, Suite 111
Tucson, AZ 85719-2000

Telephone: 520-320-1300
Toll-Free: 855-320-1300
Fax: 520-320-0717
Tucson Law Office

Quality Legal Service

Gabroy, Rollman, & Bossé, P.C. located in Tucson, Arizona, represents clients throughout Arizona, primarily in Tucson, Phoenix, Casa Grande, Florence, Oro Valley, Green Valley, Sierra Vista, Benson, Flagstaff, Prescott, Nogales, Pima County, Pinal County, Cochise County, Maricopa County and Santa Cruz County.

Privacy Policy